A Level 2/3 Practising STMS is qualified to install Temporary Traffic Management on Level 2 and 3 roads unsupervised. A practical assessment is required for this qualification.
To register for an assessment please complete the online registration form.
- This is the highest qualification for Temporary Traffic Management
- You’ll perform 3 supervised closures (not required for a re-assessment)
- You’ll review a TMP
- You’ll answer 3 theory questions
- You’ll undertake an on-road assessment
How long does it take?
Pre-assessment Meeting: 1 Hour
- This allows the Assessor to make sure the assessment requirements are clear and understood – and the company sponsoring the candidate have the resources and understanding of how to best help the candidate complete the assessment.
- May not be required separately for each candidate (may be combined or company based)
3 Supervised Closures: Company Managed
- For new Level 2/3 Assessments only
- Under supervision of a current Level 2/3 STMS
- Refer to the STMS workbook for specific requirements, and the evidence required
- Not required for reassessments unless the candidate's 2/3P STMS has expired longer than one year
Review a TMP: 30 mins
- Review of a TMP to identify faults, and outline corrections required
- TMP provided by the Assessor
- Can be conducted on the day of the on-road assessment, or prior
- No required for reassessments
Answer 3 Theory Questions: 15 mins
- Questions provided by the Assessor
- Can be done on the day of the on-road assessment, or prior
Undertake an On-Road Assessment: 3-8 Hours
- On a Level 2 or 3 road (over 65km/hr)
- Involves full installation and removal of a lane closure
- Assessment Equipment: CoPTTM compliant TMA trucks, signs, stands, bases and cones.
- Assessment Staff: We can provide highly experienced 2/3 practising STMS staff, drivers and traffic controllers available for assessments.
- We're partnered with a well established on road training company, so if you need help completing verification closures and toolbox training let us know.
- $ 125.00 per hour
- If your organisation is organised and efficient, you will be charged much less for an assessment
Proof of qualification:
- Temporary warrant card for use as evidence of qualification while you wait for your warrant card to arrive from Waka Kotahi, NZ Transport Agency
Assessment TMP Location:
- Highbrook Drive, East Tamaki (Level 2)
- SH16 Hobsonville Rd to Brigham Creek Rd (Level 3)
- SH18 Brigham Creek Rd to Squadron Drive (Level 3)
- Te Irirangi Drive, East Tamaki (Level 2)
- Hamilton, SH1, Te Rapa (Level 2)
- Wellington SH2 Western Hutt Rd Northbound
Observe an Assessment:
- You are more than welcome to observe another candidates assessment. We recommend watching the toolbox being delivered and the closure installation and removal. That way your candidate will have seen the process from start to finish and there will be no surprises on the assessment date.
Who are our assessors?
- Auckland: Ben Isdale and Dave Tilton
- Wellington: Darrin Humpries
- All assessors are available for travel to other cities.
- Our assessors are experienced on-road STMS'. They have worked on events, construction, motorways and everything in between. All are HT drivers.
- The difference with our assessors? They've been there and done it. They're intimately familiar with what the candidates are going through.
Why are we different?
- Our rates are different – we use hourly rates instead of flat assessment fees.
- We have three assessors – use the one you get along with best.
- We can guarantee 24/7 availability.
- Our assessors are experienced on-road practitioners – we’ve been out there and done it.
- We take the hassle away. We will walk you through the process and help with the paperwork requirements.
Please ensure your print out the correct Candidate Assessment Booklet for all candidates. The assessment booklet has a complete list of instructions and requirements.
- You must be a current Level 2/3 non-Practicing STMS
- Book a Level 2/3 Non-Practicing course here
- You must have refreshed or have booked your Level 2/3 Non-Practicing qualification refresher and your Level 2/3 Practising qualification must be current or expired no longer than one year.
- Book a Level 2/3 Non-Practising Refresher course here