ConstructSafe – Mandatory for Auckland Council works 1st December 2019
A Notice of Information (NOI) was released on Wednesday the 19th of June requiring:
- All contractors undertaking high-risk physical works for Auckland Council to demonstrate the commitment to ConstructSafe by the 1st of December 2019 for existing and new contracts.
Auckland Transport already requires:
- All construction contractors to be operating under the ConstructSafe Tier 1 framework from the 1st of May 2019 and are initialising the Tier 2 framework.
Who needs to be ConstructSafe Tier 1 certified?
- All workers of contractors or subcontractors undertaking high-risk physical work activities where Auckland Council is the PCBU, principle or bill payer.
- Workers who have not yet attained Tier 1 must be directly supervised at all times and have a robust plan in place to achieve Tier 1.
What is a high-risk physical work activity?
- Any activity that presents a risk to the operator or the public.
- A cleaner changing a light bulb in a public toilet, would not require ConstructSafe Tier 1, but an electrician changing the circuit board would.
- A gardener weeding a garden at a park would not require ConstructSafe, but an operator using a ride-on lawnmower would.
- For more information see the NOI here.
What is demonstrating a commitment to ConstructSafe?
- Committed to ConstructSafe is a way for clients, contractors and companies to demonstrate that they recognise the ConstructSafe scheme as an industry standard for Health & Safety competency.
- By recognising ConstructSafe as a standard in your construction work areas, you can have the assurance that every worker on site understands the same things when it comes to working on a construction site.
- You can sign up here to demonstrate commitment and gain access to:
- Free training materials and tools
- Bespoke information and insights into the capability and competency of your people
- An opportunity to take part in the development of and improvement of the ConstructSafe scheme
- Up-to-date news and communications
- Ensuring all workers have passed the ConstructSafe Tier 1 test or have a robust plan in place such as training and are working towards passing the test.
Parallaxx Mobile and Walk-in ConstructSafe TestingWe understand it can be costly and an organisational nightmare to take all your workers off the road at once to undertake testing so we’ve set up walk-in testing:
- Your workers can turn up any time during the day and undertake the test at our central Auckland location.
- Testing from 7 am to 6 pm
- All equipment is provided, the only thing your workers need is a valid ID.
- If required, we offer additional health and safety training prior to testing on request for new to the industrial workers.
- We’ve got 18 4G tablets, so we can come to your premises and test up to 18 people at a time, any time of the day or night and don’t need to connect to your WiFi.
- All you need is a board room or lunchroom, somewhere quiet to conduct the test,
- Allow 1-2 hours depending on the number of people