When do I need a Traffic Management Plan?

When your activity varies the normal operating conditions of the road reserve (that’s the area between properties and includes footpaths, berms and the road itself). It’s important to consider the work activity, as well as the vehicles and plant involved and how they get to and from the work area as well when determining if there are road reserve impacts.

Are there any other costs or fees?

There is a cost to produce a Traffic Management Plan (TMP). There are also charges from the Road Controlling Authority (RCA) for the application – these charges are sent straight to the nominated bill payer (usually the person who is wanting to do the work). Whilst the production cost for the TMP is agreed prior – the RCA application costs may not be known until the application is made. For Auckland Transport applications, more information can be found here.

How long will it take to get my TMP approved?

We ensure TMPs are prepared within 48 hours of the request. Then, following submission to the Road Controlling Authority (RCA), approval may take 10-15 working days. In reality, however, 98% TMP applications are reviewed and approved within 4 working days. For a simple operation with all relevant information available up front, a TMP can be prepared submitted and approved around 1-week prior to work commencing.

When do I need to use Barriers?

A barrier is a piece of specialist equipment. The term ‘barrier’ means a ‘Road Safety Barrier System’ and is designed to redirect errant vehicles. They provide protection and must be employed correctly and as a ‘system’ (i.e. over an appropriate length to have enough strength). For this reason, each situation is different and its best to get in touch with us to determine if a Barrier System is appropriate for your situation or not. Importantly, the term ‘barriers’ shouldn’t be confused with ‘fences’ which are used to prevent access to an area. Barriers are crash tested devices, fences are not and serve a different purpose.

Do you do other sorts of training?

We provide accredited NZTA Traffic Management Training as well as Driver Training, NZQA Assessments, Specialist Traffic Management Training (both on-road and back-end), Development of Training Systems and Professional Services Training (for TMP Designers, Auditors or TMCs).

What training course can I do?

If you don’t currently hold any NZTA CoPTTM qualification, you can start with a Level 1 Basic Traffic Controller Course. From there you can progress to higher levels and you can get your traffic control certification. Book online your traffic management training with us – Parallaxx.

Why do we have to do this? Can’t I just go out and pour my concrete driveway without all the fuss and expense?

A Traffic Management Plan is required whenever you change the normal operating conditions of the road reserve. A TMP doesn’t have to be a complicated plan, with lots of cones and signs – sometimes its just a vehicle with a rotating beacon. The purpose of a TMP is to assess the risks of the activity (on the road) and mitigate those risks.

What is the whole process when it comes to TMPs?

First, we need to understand the work. We need to get as much information from you about what you need to do, how much space you need, and all the other little details. Then – we prepare a TMP. We will consult you all the way and ensure the final TMP is fit-for-purpose. Finally, we submit the TMP to the road controlling authority for approval. Once approved – you’re good to go within the approved times and dates were given.

What do we need to provide you to complete a TMP?

There is a bit of key information we need – click here for a TMP request form.

How far in advance do Road Closures need to be submitted? Is there anything else required for a road closure TMP? (Notification plan/PO#/advertising)

Auckland Transport requires a minimum 3-week notice period for full road closures (for advertising purposes). The TMP needs to be submitted and reviewed prior to that 3-week window. If you have a job that may require a full road closure, best to start the process as early as possible to ensure you get the working window you desire.

Is there any way we can check on the status of our jobs?

Yes absolutely. If you work with us regularly, we can provide you secure login details to our job management system, allowing you to view the status and details of all your jobs in one easy location. Let us know if you want to set this up.

I have a TMP prepared already, can you just help us with the application process?

Yes, we can. We have excellent working relationships with Road Controlling Authorities and can help you with, or execute for you, the application process.

Who can provide me with the on-road capability to do the job onsite?

We can!

What is the difference between attended and Unattended sites?

An attended site is when you are actually doing work. This might differ from when you have an unattended site that has hazards left in place after hours. These two traffic management solutions may differ, as they have different hazards. Each TMP can have multiple phases to it.

Do we need an STMS on the site all the time?

Not necessarily. Different road levels and environments require different attendance requirements onsite. Regardless of road level or site environment, a qualified person must be onsite at all times when the site is active (sometimes this can be a Traffic Controller (TC). If you have questions about what site attendance is required, your approved TMP should instruct this in the first instance – and beyond that, you can talk to use and we can help you understand your requirements.

Can you do a plan for me outside of Auckland?

Most certainly. We work all over New Zealand.

Can you do a plan for me outside of NZ?

We’ve done some work in the Pacific Islands, in Papua New Guinea and Australia. Let us know your needs and we’ll be happy to help.